- Make sure you have an adult helping you
- Make sure you’re in a place where it's ok to make a mess!
- Add some cornstarch to the bowl
- Optional: Add a few drops of food coloring to the bowl to make it whatever color you want!
- Add water to the bowl a little bit at a time, stirring as you go.
- You'll know you've added enough water when you can pick up pieces of the oobleck, and when you pick it up, it turns to a slimy liquid.
- If you add too much water, you can always add some more cornstarch.
- What happens to the oobleck if you grab it and squeeze it?
- What happens if you pick up some oobleck and then let it drip through your fingers?
- How could something both act like a solid AND a liquid?
Oobleck is what is called a non-Newtonian fluid. That means that it acts both like a liquid and like a solid - depending on the forces that are exerted on it. Another example of a non-Newtonian fluid is silly putty!